Feileacan na Saoirse - Anna Falkenau
The CD is titled Feileacan na Saoirse the Butterfly of Freedom and that, in turn, is the title of one of the tunes on the CD, one composed by Anna and, like all of Anna's music, it is a very beautiful and very subtle piece with a very reflective and evocative atmosphere played superbly, on this occasion on unaccompanied fiddle, by Anna herself.
Soulful, fluent, inventive ; the superlative fiddling of Anna Falkenau flows sweetly and with spellbinding expressiveness. On this superb CD she weaves a finely crafted musical tapestry from an intensely personal selection of airs and dance tunes from the Irish and American old-time traditions. Her delicate fiddling takes us to the core of some of the most deeply felt music in the Irish tradition and to infectious dance tunes, as well as to freshly composed music from herself and other fine tune makers of today.
Especially haunting are her mood-filled airs from Sliabh Luachra, the area of rushy hills in east Kerry and west Cork whose extraordinary heritage has enriched Irish music with some of the most heartfelt music in its long tradition.
On this CD Anna is supported masterfully by some of the most skilled accompanists in the contemporary Irish tradition.
guest musicians: Ged Foley, Mary Shannon, Kevin Hough, Lena Ullman, Holly Geraghty, Steve Sweeney and Johnny Ringo McDonagh
1. The House On the Hill / The Leading Role 2:59
2. Sally Coming Through the Rye 2:40
3. Fitzgerald's / Bushmill's 3:22
4. The Wounded Hussar 3:33
5. The Coolea Jig / Paidin O Raifeartaigh 2:23
6. Richmond 2:25
7. Ivan's Waltz 3:23
8. O'Rahilly's Grave / Feileacan Na Saoirse 5:21
9. Vodka and Chocolate 3:04
10. The Sporting Pitchfork / The High Part of the Road / The Connachtman's Rambles 3:45
11. The Jolly Tinker / The Little Cascade 4:29
12. Caoineadh Ui Neill / That's Right, Too!